Two birds of a feather

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, May 1, 2010

The market and our apartment



Well the last couple of days have been great. We have all of our chores done now. We are getting to know our way around pretty well. We have had a great time going swimming in the beautiful ocean. Yesterday we went snorkeling and it was great fun. It was so cool. I wonder what "good" snorkeling is like because yesterday was pretty awesome. The only reason I stopped was because my arms and legs were so tired. We meet new people everywhere we go and its great to get to know them and then recognizing them on the street or around campus later on. The people are so friendly here. I know you will probably get sick of me saying this, but it is so pretty here, I love it!!! I want to take pictures of everything. It isn't to hot today either because of the rain.

This morning we woke up especially early to go to market. All I can say is that I think it is so cool. Everyone is shouting out prices at you. People are greeting old friends and some are making new ones. The fishermen blow their conch shells to let you know they have fresh fish to be bought. Its just craziness. We got so much food there and for pretty cheap. This is what we got. 9 bananas - $3ec
2 bags of mangoes - $2ec a bag 1 bag potatoes - $5ec a bag 1 dozen eggs - $7ec 4 cucumbers - $2ec 2 coconuts - $1ec each 1 bag sugar cane - $2ec 1 bag carrots - $6ec 1 head of lettuce -$3ec 2lbs. blue marlin - $14ec ($7ec/lb)
Some of the things are more expensive because they are rare on the island. I forgot to explain that they use Eastern Carribean money (ec). $1ec equals $0.38us. We spent $37ec, so we spent $14.10us. Not to shabby if I say so myself.
We are not planning to do anything today. We just want to relax and let our bodies rest. We have been walking up and down and all around for a few days and today we just want to lay around our apartment. Oh yeah, I was going to tell you about our apartment too. We have now moved into the #7 apartment and I am so so so glad we moved up here. We get the breeze so much more and the apartment is a lot nicer. Our apartment building is the yellow one on the right.
This is my kitchen and the other half of it "Living Room/Dining Room" (its the same room as the kitchen) Johnny's study area (its in the bedroom). I don't know why Johnny didn't take pics of the rest of the room. Bathroom

I hope this post wasn't to boring. I just thought I would let everyone know a little more about island life. Sorry some of the pictures are blurry.

2 comments:

  1. I am so going to enjoy all your posts and live vicariously through you guys! It looks like you have really settled in. Good Luck and I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't apologize for your pictures. These are the things we want to see and know about. It looks like you are doing great. Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails